Wednesday, April 9, 2014

my favorite cookbooks: the hummingbird bakery cookbook

It's been almost four months since my last 'Favorite Cookbooks' post, 
and I do have a lot of favorites, so let's go to the next one!




//

This is an (kind of) oldie, but a goodie! 
I always have a chuckle when I see the promotion quote by Gwyneth Paltrow on the cover, she hasn't always been the clean eater/ health freak that she is now.

The Hummingbird Bakery is a popular bakery in London which sells American inspired baked goods.
The cookbook shares the recipes of quite a few of their favorite and most popular items, and since the bakery isn't around the corner, I'm glad they're so generous!
Key lime pie, carrot cake, marshmallow cupcakes, pumpkin pie, cookies, brownies, New York cheesecake, you name it, there's a recipe for it.




I especially love their cupcake recipes. 
They're simple to follow, but also adventurous with the flavors.
Think of: lavender(surprisingly delicious), green tea, coconut and pineapple, peaches and cream or ginger.
But my favorite cupcake recipes has to be the lemon cupcake.

And because I like my readers (yes, you!) I thought I'd share the recipe here!

//

Make sure to use organic lemons as you'll be using the zest in the batter and in the frosting.

If you love lemon just like me, you won't be sorry if you hollow out a bit of the baked cupcake and fill the hole with lemon curd. Cover your tracks with the frosting! Do it!



Hummingbird Bakery Lemon Cupcakes

1 cup plain flour

3/4 cup white sugar

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

2 tbsp grated lemon zest , plus extra to decorate

3 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp

1/2 cup milk

1 egg


Lemon Frosting

2 cups icing sugar

5 tbsp butter, room temp

2 tbsp lemon zest

a couple drops of yellow food coloring (optional)

1 1/2 tbsp milk

Preheat the oven to to 170C (325F).

Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and butter in a large bowl and beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined. Gradually pour in the milk and beat until just incorporated.

Add the egg to the flour mixture and continue beating util just incorporated (scrape the side of the bowl) and continue mixing for a couple minutes until the mixture is smooth. Do not overmix.

Spoon the mix into paper cases in a 12 hole muffin tin until 2/3 full and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. If you’ve got a fan assisted oven, check the cupcakes at 12-15 minutes. Check to make sure the cupcakes are fully baked by inserting a wooden skewer into the center – it should come out clean. Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Lemon frosting: 
Beat together the icing sugar, butter, lemon zest and food coloring. Slowly pour in the milk and beat on slow until the milk is incorporated fully. Turn the mixer on high and beat until light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. Frost the cool cupcakes and top with lemon zest.



//

Enjoy!


Love, Maria

to see my first 'Favorite Cookbooks' post click here

1 comment:

  1. Maria, I hope you plan on baking while you're here .....

    ReplyDelete

UPDATE: I'M GOING TO BE USING WORD VERIFICATION FOR A BIT, THE SPAM WAS GETTING OUT OF CONTROL! SORRY!

talk to me!