Thursday, September 12, 2013

On blogging and it's influence on me


Day 8 Blogtember topic: Discuss ways that blogging or social media has changed you.



Oh, blogging...

I feel that the blogging world has changed so much since I started reading blogs a few years ago, it's become so much more commercial and more about branding and follower statistics. 
Some blogs that I loved to read because of the authenticity seem like they've turned into one big advertisement, and it's easy to feel pressured into that way of blogging. 
And sometimes it makes me feel like quitting, because I don't want to have such a blog.

But then I get the sweetest comment on a post I've written or I read a beautiful article a fellow blogger has posted and I realize there are so many positives to blogging as well. 
It can be so inspirational and connecting and encouraging and sometimes it gets me out of my comfort zone.

This is what I wrote in my very first post about why I blog:
"I want to remember the little things, his first smiles and giggles and temper tantrums.

I want to be able to look back in a few years and know what was going on in our lives right now and how our God has blessed us.

I want Micha to be able to stumble upon my blog one day and read about our first years together and know that we loved him from the start and always will!"

My reason to start blogging was to document our lives as a new family, and I'm so happy I've kept up so far.
But in the last year this blog has become more than just an online journal.
It's been a way for me to stay creative with my writing and with life in general. 
It's been a way to stay connected with family and friends and it's given me new friends. 
It's opened me to new possibilities and has been an outlet for my thoughts.
It's helped me to see the little things in life.

It's influenced me in more ways than I thought possible.

How has blogging influenced you?

Love, Maria


5 comments:

  1. Such good thoughts :-) Mine kind of started in the opposite way; I wanted to do the whole followers/writing-for-others thing, and eventually transitioned into just documenting my life in a way that I can look back on, and have a good idea of what my life was like, and what I thought, felt, wore, and did. And I like it SO much better that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Oh my, that's quite the run-on sentence in there...oops! Haha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to have a reason for blogging, and then take a good look at it once in a while, to be sure you're still doing it for that reason. New reasons are good too, but I think it's important to take note of the fact that your reason has changed and you're OK with that. Otherwise you can morph into something you had no desire to do, or get stuck in something you don't actually on reflection want to be doing .... Someone I know writes an amazing blog, but doesn't allow comments on it, because she's afraid she'll write in reaction. Not necessarily for everyone, but it's an interesting thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. blogging definitely stresses me out sometimes! but now since having addilyn some of the reasons I blog has changed - i want to have these memories and pictures written out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. kind of fun to see the development in these months blogging now, if it´s just thoughts or the growing kids,.... I love to stop by your space and I´m glad you just said hello to me that one day. You are one of this people I`m happy to have met, without blogging this never happened...

    ReplyDelete

UPDATE: I'M GOING TO BE USING WORD VERIFICATION FOR A BIT, THE SPAM WAS GETTING OUT OF CONTROL! SORRY!

talk to me!