Thursday, March 28, 2013

Love = baking, and a recipe

I find it kind of odd that of all my blog posts I've written since I've started blogging hardly any are a recipe post or a post about baking. 
It's strange because baking is one of my greatest passions.

^ ^ ^ ^

It started when I was a little girl. On Saturday mornings I would sneak downstairs and help my dad bake pancakes for the whole family, or I would watch him on Saturday evening while he was kneading dough for his famous Sunday morning raisin bread. 

I would help my mom bake cookies or watch her make the most amazing birthday cakes. Those cakes were the highlight of every birthday, we had a recipe book with all kinds of fun cakes and every birthday we could choose which one we wanted her to make.

my moms creation for my seventh birthday, a bunny!

I've held on to those traditions, almost every Saturday morning I bake pancakes and as often as I can there's freshly baked raisin bread on the Sunday breakfast table. I bake cookies and muffins and squares whenever I can and I already have BIG plans for Micha's first birthday cake.

^ ^ ^ ^

Baking has always been an emotional thing for me. 
When I yearned for a baby, I baked my sadness away. 
When I quit University, I baked because that was something I actually was good at. 
When friends had babies, there I would be with a basket of muffins for the tired new mom.
When I want to show my man some lovin', I bake whatever he pleases.
And yes, when my monthly fun time (ahum) arrives, it's brownies I bake.

The process of baking gives me so much joy. 
From measuring out all the ingredients to melting chocolate or butter. 
From rolling out pastry to sitting in front of the oven watching my creations rise
and bake and turn into edible happiness. 

I find peace while I'm kneading dough or icing a cake or seeing a pile of pancakes become higher and higher.

And I love that feeling of pride and satisfaction when someone bites into that perfectly crumbly pie crust and their eyes light up and their mouth curls into the biggest smile, 
because it's MY baking that's making them feel like that.

^ ^ ^ ^

I haven't shared a lot recipes on the blog, but I think I'll try to do it once in a while from now on. 
Mind you, I don't have the best photography skills, so don't expect any beautiful food blogger-worthy photo's. 

But what I can do is share some of my favorite recipes and my love for baking. 
Because I really do believe that food tastes better when you put some love and attention into it. 
And that's what makes it so special to me.

^ ^ ^ ^

And now on to my first recipe. 


Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies 
(makes about 38 cookies)


I know, I know, everybody knows how to make Chocolate Chips cookies, but this is my go-to recipe. 
I combined a bunch of different recipes to make my perfect cookie.



1 cup butter (at room temperature)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 cup quick oats
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips

or for Oatmeal Raisin Cookies add:

1 tsp cinnamon
and replace the chocolate chips with
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 375 F/ 190 C

In stand mixer or in a bowl using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in vanilla. In another stir together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into butter mixture until just blended. Stir in chocolate chips.

For the raisin cookies, add the cinnamon with the dry ingredients and stir in raisins instead of the chocolate chips

Roll dough into balls about 11/2 inches/ 4 cm in diameter. Place on ungreased cookie sheets, (you might want to use baking paper) placing balls about 2 inches/ 5 cm apart. On sheet at a time, bake in center of oven for 8-10 minutes or until just golden. Let cool on cookie sheet 1 minute, then transfer to rack to cool completely.

Enjoy!



Love, Maria

linking up with Casey today

4 comments:

  1. Yummm... I always love your baking! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Maria, so true when you say: "I really do believe that food tastes better when you put some love and attention into it." and you sure do that!
    I am looking forward to sampling your 'love' again! In less than three weeks! Lots of love, mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet post! I honestly wish that I could be talented at baking. I'm definitely someone who needs to follow a recipe haha. And girl, I'm with you on the photos; I always feel like mine aren't "blog-worthy". It's the recipe that counts though! Totally going to try these :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this post and how you see things! the cookies sound delicious, really looking forward to your recipes!by the way i like the way you display your stuff, it looks like real life and fun! have a very happy easter weekend, noni!

    ReplyDelete

UPDATE: I'M GOING TO BE USING WORD VERIFICATION FOR A BIT, THE SPAM WAS GETTING OUT OF CONTROL! SORRY!

talk to me!